View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2021, 05:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A0 HQ/Force Morale/Off-map Comm

Regarding morale:

Morale in the game in not affected by a single factor and thus HQ loss is not the only decisive moment. I don't know the code behind the game but let's say that 1% loss in points in your force results in 2% loss in global morale, while losing the HQ results in 10% morale loss. And also assume that when morale drops from 100% to 0% the force routs and the battle automatically ends. You can see that even though the HQ is by far the most devastating percentage wise in terms of losses, you still need to kill 45% of the enemy force to force them to rout.

It is a bit like the Total War games as an other example. Losing the general causes the biggest morale drop, but morale is affected by many factors such as if you are being outnumbered, if you units believe they are losing the battle vs their opponents in front of them, if your force is being outflanked, if your opponent uses morale breaking weapons (elephants, gunpowder weapons etc) and of course if you lose too many men among other as well. When there are so many things going on, you can see that losing the general may not be decisive.

PS: I've included only casualties as the other factor in WinSPMBT because I don't exactly remember all the factors that affect morale. Some that come to mind are if your troops walk over area containing friendly wrecks, if you walk over terrain on fire or even worse, attacked by flame weapons and sometimes if you order infantry to close assault tanks. I am not sure if these things affect global morale though.