View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dom 2 now or wait for Dom3?

Not having seen Dom 3, it is a bit hard to tell! The differences between 1 and 2 were substantial, but were not immediately apparent when I started to play. Much like the game, they were deep and took some time to explore. Given that, I expect the changes in 3 will be similar. A refinement of the engine, with some new things, but substantially the same excellent core.

Given Shrapnel’s policy of keeping prices high on older products, I suspect the price gap between 2 and 3 will not be as large as typical in the industry. As such, I would recommend waiting for 3, rather than getting 2 now and then buying again in a few months. If a cheap version of 2 was available, I would advise grabbing it, but there are not many out there.

On the topic of the high prices for older products, I strongly advise that you take the advice of the person who suggested you play the demo of any Shrapnel game you are interested in. Many Shrapnel games are excellent, Dominions being a fine example, but I have been disappointed at the value for money on other games. Also, check the traffic on the forums, it can be a helpful indicator.

It is an old debate about graphics, game play, and value and Shrapnel are clear that they believe good game play should be rewarded. At the same time, Shrapnel games do face tough competition from the freeware world and I know that at least one of their games is outclassed by a freeware game, both graphics and game play. I also believe that good work should be rewarded and I believe that I should pay a fair price for a product. Play the demos and decide, but I am sure that for Dominions, you will decide that it is worth your money.