View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM

Sergeant

spillblood is on a distinguished road
Default Re: World Supremacy: Have some Space Empires fans checked it out (has massive problem

Thanks for posting here, S.R., I want to give a report about the moddability of WS here that's a bit more detailed:
My most important finding when checking the WS-folders: It doesn't have any of those .scr/ scripting files that were mentioned here before. This probably means the AI isn't moddable, because I've not found any AI- entries in the text files that can be edited. It also simply means the AI isn't scripted like in Space Empires, but actually reacts to player actions. I think Aaron pointed that out in some forum posts before, and I think it's the main cause he has problems improving it.
BUT, EVERYTHING ELSE, all unit pictures, all terrain tiles, all research items, every territory name, all sound effects, and all effects themselves, are in fact easily moddable via simple text files:

Effects.txt
GameSettings.txt
HelpText.txt
MainFonts.txt
MapTypes.txt
NationNames.txt
PlayerNames.txt
RegionNames.txt
SoundEffects.txt
Technology.txt
Terrain_Tiles.txt
Terrain_Tiles.txt

I can't attach them here, but they are probably included in the demo, too. What's the difference in construction to Space Empires?
@Gandalf Parker: You're wrong, since this game has NO diplomacy, and you can only win it with you military, the AI needs to be able to attack. Plus, I don't know what you're referring to exactly. If you saw those "only one attack per turn"-bug-reports for the AI: This error was fixed in version 1.09. But the main problem of the AI isn't this, but it's inability to make strategic decisions and some remaining bugs, like the inability to fire intercontinental nukes (so that they can be easily captured by players and used against the AI) and its inability to expand fleets (naval forces). It can only build one ship of each type in a single fleet, that means players always have naval supremacy, and since fleets can be used for invasions, you can figure out what that means for the AI.