View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2015, 12:32 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Polish LWP OOB09 (v.8.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejos View Post
unit 21 IS-85 in LWP know as JS-1 (Józef Stalin-1) polish transliteration was in fact in small number used in LWP training school first in Riazań and then moved to Rembertów near Warszawa. Probably adding a new Training tanks purchase option may solve problem. That is why this unit was added to orginal LWP OOB. My source was "Wozy Bojowe LWP 1943-1983" by Janusz Magnuski
Quickly browsing, I couldn't find IS-1 in this book. Anyway, does it make sense to make available vehicles, that were used in small quantities in rear schools only and weren't meant to fight?... It concerns also SU-152 and Shermans in schools below.

BTW: it might have been known in some documents as JS-1, however all current Polish sources call it correctly IS-1 (along with quoted Magnuski), so the worst thing to do would be to change IS to JS tanks in the Polish oob

Quote:
26 M4A2 (76) There were added because also I found in the same book that Scherman's in short period temporary was used during fight in Gdańsk (Danzig) in 1945 with polish crews they were given by soviet unit just for street fighting and then returned back to owners. But of course except this short period of battle usage some Sherman's belongs to training school in Riazań or was was given for exercises by soviets.

There is a also Sherman in LWP unit description LWP on German soil so small number was again used in May-July 1945 meaby was transferred from tanks school or soviet units to replace loses.
http://s124.photobucket.com/user/bol...544e6.png.html
The last photo is interesting. Although this eagle looks suspicious (such size)... Anyway, it rather shouldn't be available as standard medium tank to choose. AFAIK there are no details known about their usage (and whether they were actually used), apart from this photo... I can't find any mention about Shermans in Magnuski's book, unless there is some other issue. Personally I'd remove it.

Quote:
27 SU-57 That was an error to add soviet machine-guns what I read and also soviet units photos suggest usually in leand-lase equipment American MG was retained ad used. So if they were rearmed that were because repairs etc. so soviet MG on them was rare the same with 46 M3A1 Scout Car as was mentioned earlier
Yes, there were .30 and .50 MGs used, but SU-57 didn't carry any auxiliary MG. The Soviets had no equivalent to mount on pintle mounts anyway.

Quote:
33,34 SU-100 as you correctly guess was described only in training unit in small number in Rembertów not used by front-line divisions more after war 1946 were used in bigger number as standard equipment.
I've tried to find info on Polish usage of SU-100 while working on SPMBT, and apart from general statements, that "bigger numbers of SU-100" were bought in late 40s and 50s", there are no details - and I suspect, there were none apart from a couple of vehicles.

To quote myself from SPMBT forum: in 1949 there existed only two "pattern vehicles" [Poligon 3/2010]. In 1955, a total number of 51 SU-85 and SU-100 is given, what corresponds with 50 SU-85 and 2 SU-100 in 1949 [same source]. In 1960 there are mentioned only 43 SU-85 in inventory. There is also no information on further import of SU-100, only of heavy SP-guns and SU-76s.

Michal