View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2003, 12:34 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Freedom of expression or the dawn of morality ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Thermodyne:
Hmm. Looks like the Dems are going to dump on the internet generation.

OK guys (and gals) lets line up and turn yourselvs in now.
Getting ready? They already have, multiple times. The 'Internet Generation' in particular but also every American citizen in general with a computer. The DMCA makes it a crime to own any sort of device that can be used for 'circumvention' of copyright protection. A general purpose computer is already such a device. (But then so is a magic marker, as it turns out... ) The general purpose computer has already effectively been outlawed. It's just a question of when and if they will come to their senses, or enforce the actual meaning of the law they have passed.

This is not new, though. Long before 9/11/2001 there were 'anti-terrorism' laws put on the books that make you legally responsible for any violence committed by anyone who has participated in any 'political event' with you before going off to commit said acts of violence. 1996 I think it was? (I mean, if you hold political views sympathetic to a 'terrorist' cause you must obviously be a terrorist yourself! ) I'd have to look it up in the EFF archives. Congress has been passing stupid laws for generations. There was something called 'Prohibition' in the 1920s. Remember that one?

[ July 26, 2003, 23:37: Message edited by: Baron Munchausen ]