View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2017, 11:57 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Egyptian-Libyan war miniseries (1977)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaS TrooP View Post
What do you mean "short by platoon"? Any sources indicating they should have 4 combat platoons? Or as "short by platoon" you mean lack of weapons platoon?

I got no data here, but there are still many armies that keep weapons company under battalion command and have no weapons platoon whatsoever.
Sorry. I am saying the commando company (not two as said in the scenario text) has only two rifle platoons (combat platoons as you say) rather than three rifle platoons.

While weapons companies are under battalion command and their teams train together under separate leaders than the rifle companies, when weapon teams are tasked to rifle companies, they are nominally done so by weapons squad to rile platoon or weapons platoon to rifle company. A battalion may have three companies normally, with a weapons company of three platoons to support the rifle companies.

I checked the database utility for the Egyptian OOB and found the commando company, formation 210, is available between '60 to '68. Although there are no helicopter commando formations, all the Egyptian rifle companies, including the commando company, are composed of three rifle platoons.

So, if your rifle company of two platoons was by design, no problem with me as I cited Rumsfeld, "...you go to war with the army you have..."

Na zdrowie!