View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:03 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BETA: PLEI ME version1.0

Finished the first battle scenario.

I opted for the dedicated div support and deployed all forces in the south - except two mortars and three scout teams who went to the north.

The northern group I had to set up mortar positions and let the Aux infantry and scout teams guard the position. The suffred no losses while ambushing a few VC teams.

In the south I left a rifle platoon and a MG team to guard the VH and defeat the NVA forces I knew would be coming, this worked fine - set up a kill zone and finished off most of the NVA teams at once.

Charged through the village and to the hedgehog defences, I wondered why the NVA/VC mortars didn't fire because with all the VC teams and hiding pits the AI would be able to "see" parts of my forces most of the time.

Left a few scouts, shot up AUX infantry and two MG teams in the village, which were able to deal with the VC moving in on the village.

Pressed on and overran the trenchsystem with the bulk of my forces. Took maybe too heavy losses though because I relied on infantry rather than artillery to clear the trenches.

Did not try to take the single VHs in the "northeast" area of the map.

Managed a minor win.

First thoughts:
- Dangerous to leave infantry near 'VC spawning areas' as the reinforcing VC units will get the first shot (and if it's point blank it can hurt).

- Aircraft can be effective to intercept moving enemy units, managed to shot up about a platoon of NVA at the end with concentrated airstrikes. Also had a Skyraider tasked with attacking the trenchsystem attack my own forces at the other end of the map. Realistic but... ouch napalm!