APCs: 0
AFVs: 3
Air Transports/Helos: 0
Aircraft: 0

Score

USSR: 3817
Finland: 38

Final Comments

I was pleased with how this battle turned out. The echelon front worked out well. Alpha Company was able to send help to the engineers (two of three engineers survived) and Charlie Company helped out Bravo. Some of this was luck, however. If the enemy had hit Alpha and engineers, the engineers would have been out of luck. As it is, the enemy did break through in significant numbers in the engineers' sector.

The enemy tossing an entire Jaeger Company at my engineers was dumb luck. It was my weakest defended area and the lakes created an obstacle in getting reinforcements into the area. For the most part, my engineers aren't much better than rifle squads. Only one out of three had flame throwers and satchel charges. The other two are engineers because they can clear obstacles, nothing more.

Enemy tanks rushing down the east-west road delayed Delta Company some, but they were able to ultimately get into position. The lone tank that escaped my hasty ambush was an annoyance, but nothing more.

The estimate of opposing forces was pretty much right on, but this is simple to determine. Set your preferences to your force point value and then start a battle taking the other side. You will get some ideas what you will be up against. The only fault I found with the enemy force selection was the ski sniper. It took out a couple of men and destroyed a Kosmolet. Given how much a ski sniper costs, they could have gotten a couple of ATGs (they had none), two more tanks or another platoon of infantry. I don't think the AI handles snipers as they should be handled and it ended up being a waste of points.

The spotter plane worked out well. It gave me enough information so I could shift troops as needed. There is no substitute for good battlefield intel. The enemy had only two AAMGs, but I made sure I kept my spotter plane out of harms way. Not expecting any SPAA units, all I had to do is keep it at least 750m outside of the enemy deployment zone.

The next battle is a Special Battle. I get to perform a delay against Finland. At least I wasn't hurt badly, so it shouldn't be too badly.

I've attached the save just before I ended my last turn. Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Saved Games.zip (115.9 KB, 294 views)