View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Private

ivanmoe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why no destroyers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMHawkins View Post
Timothy,

Cutting destroyers was easily the hardest cut I had to make in the game. I really wanted them included, but I just couldn't find a way to make them work within the design constraints. It was critical to me that the game be playable in 2-3 hours ("put the kids to bed, play a complete game, and be in bed by midnight yourself"). Adding DDs, even in squadrons, added so many more units to the game, it became unworkable.

By scaling back the number of units, those left take on a litte more importance and, for lack of a better word, personality. One of the beta testers recently commented about a game he'd just finished (playing as the Allies) where the Kongo seemed to lead a charmed life. It was nearly sunk at several battles, but always managed to limp away (while other IJN ships were slaughtered) and show up a few months later, repaired and ready to cause more trouble.

But, it's a trade-off. WPP sacrifices some detail (such as, no destroyers among other things), and in return you can keep the ebb and flow of the entire war in your head, plus you can replay the war several times trying different strategies. Those aren't really practical with the other PTO titles out there. I hope you'll ultimately decide it's worth it, but thanks for the interest whichever way you go.

Regards,
John Hawkins
KE Studios
Having run through the game a couple of times, now, I've noticed that USN CLAA are also missing from the unit mix.

Again, I understand your desire to keep the game within manageable limits in terms of numbers.

I'm curious, though, in regard to the anti-aircraft cruisers, was this done partly out of play-balance considerations, or was the unit limit the sole concern?