Thread: Dawn
View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Corporal

attack_condor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dawn - The race to Zezzis

Nekkar III
Intelligence Directorate

Rita Edwards was making her presence felt. Her policies resulted in an increase of agents to try to stem the flow of information that was being stolen from the Empire. She knew it would take time, but she needed something to grab the attention of the directors of the corporation, and she needed it fast.

This month’s report was being held in the Directorate building, and one of the highlights was the colonization of the first planet in the Forlorn system. Aptly named, the system was at the tail end of the empire, and had only three planets that could become colonies. That number was now down to two, as Forlorn II took its place as an Empire planet.

The research director spoke up.

“Mr. Chairman, we are indeed fortunate to have another such colony within our empire. A huge planet with an oxygen atmosphere will make a wonderful addition to our research capabilities. Now, if I may suggest, Mr. Chairman…”

Rita waited for just this moment, and she acted.

“Mr. Chairman, if I may?” She looked at the research director. “Doctor, please forgive me for the interruption, but I want to put forth an alternative.”

The research director looked perplexed, and was about to say something, but remembered who he was talking to. She had a benign smile on her face, and the director suddenly felt on the wrong end of a cat and mouse game. Logic was his strong suit, and he analyzed his choices. He could confront her, with the possible outcomes of either winning or losing his point. Losing his point would have – at least – consequences that would be detrimental. Winning his point would show up the new director, and that wouldn’t necessarily be a good thing either. He wasn’t worried for his personal safety, but he was worried that she might have a point. So he nodded to her.

“Please, Miss Edwards, do continue.”

For her part, Rita noted the failed attempt at covering up the condescension in the remark. Scientists, she thought. So smart and so very naïve. That, she surmised correctly, was the problem.

“Thank you doctor. As you are all aware, we have been losing information about our empire to alien empires at a rate that should – at least – be a cause for concern. Please do not misunderstand me. I realize that in order to maintain the impressive list of technological advances our research department continues to amaze us with,” – her condescension, on the other hand, was beautifully masked –“they need access to a free flow of ideas. They need to be able to find the piece of information necessary to unlock the secret of the project they are working on. I am not like my predecessor. My desire is to work in the background – away from the efforts of those who study for our benefit.”

The chairman was watching his new intelligence director lay the groundwork for what she wanted. He sensed the point was about to be made.

“Gentlemen, I am not a scientist. I am an intelligence officer. I don’t study science, or texts; I study people. And I find myself in the position of objecting to the research department’s use of our new colony at Forlorn II. I do so with the belief that by objecting to them now, I am ultimately helping them.”

The research director now had to respond. Again, his logic saved him.

“Miss Edwards, I assume you have an alternate plan for the use of Forlorn II?”

Rita jumped a bit too quick at the opening.

“Doctor, we need the planet to serve the Empire in the best way possible. I believe it can best do so under the control of the Intelligence directorate. I want to be able to help stop the flow of information – your discoveries, doctor – to those who may choose to use them against us.”

The research director nodded again, and addressed the Chairman, as well sa the assembled committee.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we have an opportunity today. An opportunity for cooperation between two departments that are – theoretically, at least – inherently at odds with each other. The importance of the free flow of ideas cannot be overshadowed by the prevention of those ideas from being used against us. I want to congratulate our intelligence director for her foresight and concern, and offer my support for her plan for the use of Forlorn II as an intelligence colony.”

He turned to Rita and smiled.

“Please do your best to assist us, Miss Edwards. And please know we will do our best to assist you.”

Rita had her smile transfixed but inwardly she knew the smart, but naïve scientist had just outmaneuvered her. By agreeing with her, he had absolved himself, and his department, of the responsibility for the control of information flowing out of the empire. After all, the intelligence directorate had a shiny new planet of their own. If the information didn’t stop flowing out of the empire now, the only variable left would be her.

”Damn, damn, damn!" she thought to herself. How could she be so easily led? She again looked at the research director. Smart, but naïve wasn’t truly apropos. Naïve, but smart was more to the point. She made one more mental note about the research director.

He learned fast.

Velocitas-Zezzis warp point
...onboard CDS West End...

Captain O’Rourke was a bit disappointed that her role was now that of a tour guide – pointing the way for others to explore the new system. Next on the list was Montreal, followed by Pinta 034. The new minelayer, Aztec was due in from the Haphik system next month. The Sergetti fleet in Zezzis did not challenge the Dawn fleet, but warped out of the system. Taking the opportunity, Southampton was currently scouting the system, and found a Sithrak frigate in the system, as well as five more planets that could be colonies. He also reported a huge ice world that was no doubt on the Sergetti list of planets to be colonized. This piece of information may cause the Empire to pause and think about the possibility of researching ice world colonization. They certainly had the capability. They would need the time, but it could be done. This would also put Dawn in direct competition with every other empire in the galaxy. But hose thoughts weren’t her immediate concern.

Captain Harrison would need to re-supply, and soon West End would change roles with Southampton. She would finally be able to operate on her own without her former commander there. She wasn’t ungrateful to him, but she needed to prove she could operate without his guidance.

She didn't need his guidance to know one thing, though. With four empires now in in the system, the race for Zezzis was on.