View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2002, 03:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Oh Microsoft bought the hype on this game

So I have an impressionable mind.

I was reading PC Gamer's June issues, nice work Shrapnel , and came acrossed an article about Dungeon Siege by Gass Powered Games.

I liked what the article said, so I check around. Nearly everyone was saying the game rocked. I downloaded the Demo from Gamespot.com and played it. I liked it.

Last night I went to the local store, Fred Meyers, and bought the game. The price tag was a hefty $49.99 and I bocked at paying that kind of money for a game, but finally said 'what the hell' and sprang for it.

I get home, open the box, and pull out the CD. I install the game and run it. (Nice Gas Powered intro, kinda funny to watch.) I set the game up and launch it. "Hey! This isn't the game I just played a demo of!"

Nope, it was the full Version. So here I am playing this new game and I quickly come to realize that the Full Version is less as impressive as the Demo Version. Why you ask, well I don't know why. All I know is that I find playing this game a major pain in the *** because of the control system. God talk about missing the boat. In order to really see whats going on, you have to constantly move the mouse around and almost strain to look. I find that playing this game on the TOP DOWN map screen is the only real way to get around. Oh the graphics are awsome, but the camera movement controls suck big time. I wish there was a way to lock the camera into a good "Diablo View." I find that I enjoyed the story of Bolders Gate and the feel of that game 10X more than Dungeon Siege. Don't get me wrong, Microsoft did a bang up job buying the reviews, I fell for them.

I replayed the demo and discovered that it was vertually the same game as the one I had just bought with one noteable differance, It was easier to control. Why I don't know, it just, for me, simply was.

The game is ok, but a really pain to navigate. I think that this will be the big complaint most will voice. I like the look of the game, and other things as well. The beast of burden is a great idea, but it often gets in the way and ends up as barb ba Q.

The mosters and other heavies are ok. I like that some are bigger than others, and much more dumber than they look.

Ulitmately though, the best way for me to play the game is from the TOP DOWN view, and this takes all the eye candy away reducing the game to some 8 bit Nintendo game.

Take my advice and wait for the cost to come down. Way way way down before buying this game.

Again, hats off to Microsoft on buying its reviews.