Old July 21st, 2004, 07:08 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gem use question.

Quote:
Originally posted by Arryn:
quote:
Originally posted by Cainehill:
Sure they didn't cast one of the two spells that would effectively raise their casting level first? (Power of the Spheres or Light of the Northern Star)
I thought about that, but then how would you explain reducing a 500 fatigue cost down to something workable? The L4 mage needs to be L7-equivalent. The fatigue cost is a problem even for a L5 mage. There's an inconsistency between how some spells appear to be cast by certain mages, and how other spells are or aren't.
Heh. Ain't that the truth!

I'm thinking I need to set up a mini map (like 19 or so provinces), and run all nations through to where they have about everything researched and lots of gems.

That way it'd be easy to save that game, and easily create a variety of mages for any nation via empowerment, in order to test bed various spells. I agree that what Graeme describes (S4 mage being able to cast it via burning 4 gems plus the 5 required) is how _I_ interpretted the manual, and makes more sense to me besides.

But I definately found that D1 mages can't cast Lammashtas, no matter how many gems they carry, while D2 with a single gem cast it in the same circumstance. In fact - Graeme might remember it. An Onyx Amazon Priestess wandering into a huge army of his, and ... not doing much.

It was scripted to cast Summon Lammashtas, had the gems, had a nice big army it was casting against and ... blip! Out comes a skeleton instead.