View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Private

Zocktan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: creating a new, fictional oob

Quote:
MacGalin said:
For tenars and posleen flying tanks, you are using helicopters class, right?

now i am just working on the tenars, but i'm not sure, if i'll give some units plasma guns and missiles or if i make them an extra unit.
i'll test both variants and will take the one, that works better

Quote:
MacGalin said:
Anyway, are you thinking about modelling earth's Mobile Infantry too? I think that each MI trooper should be modelled as independent unit, like light tank or something . Platoon of MI wold be company type unit in game terms.

as soon as the posleen-oob works, i'll give earth galtech-modifications, including the MI, but before that i have got to read the book again.

Quote:
MacGalin said:
And last thing - i don't think posleen normal shotgun would be similar to humans. I'd say it would have much more power.

by know the only modification i have spend the shotguns is a higher range, 4.

Quote:
PlasmaKrab said:
If you want a pack of units centralized around an all-powerful leader, create a large platoon-level formation with eleven "squads" led by one specific unit as you described.
The squads should have maximum manpower, a negative morale modifier and no radio. In this case, they will have to stick around the leading unit to gain command access, and there are great chances that they will rout once the leader is destroyed.
Also, don't forget to put the leading unit in a different unit class, so an IA pick will not mix both types.

that sounds great!

Quote:
PlasmaKrab said:
About anti-air weapons: are these vehicle-based or not? If yes, you could use a class 4 weapon (AA gun/MG) with a weapon size of 4 or more. These will be the most efficient against both air and ground targets, but IIRC the weapon size will drain more ROF and leave less firing chances per turn. Add a deliriously high accuracy rating and a large positive unit experience modifier, and you should have a deadly enough weapon.
Also, fiddle with the warhead size and HE kill ratings to adjust the damage and animation to your liking.

Lastly, if you want this weapon to be efficient against armour, my take would be to give it a large HE penetration, thus sparing superfluous AP shots. This method tends to work too well for real-life weapons (makes them too efficient against armour), but since we're talking plasma guns...
And if it's an AA-oriented weapon, the large ROF burst fires could even account for the occasional collateral plastering you would get against multiple armored units stacked in the same hex!

that sounds great, too! do you maybe know i way, to model the plasma guns in a way, that their efficiency gets smaller with higher range to simulate the volatility (right word??) of plasma