View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default DAR: USSR vs Germany 2

USSR vs. Germany

Mission: Advance, Korosten, USSR, 7/1941 - scattered objectives.

Enemy: Reinforced Company Strength – 1 Tank Plt, 1 Infantry Co (+), 1 Artillery Sec., plus ATG and AAA. Strike aircraft possible. Average force experience, ~75.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. Fairly open map with a number of medium sized low hills and one large level 20 hill in the enemy deployment zone. The edge of the level 20 has a few areas of rough ground. Trees are in clustered groups roughly 500m across and might account for about 20% of the total space. Only one group of trees can be classified as dense. All the others are loosely packed, with many small clearings. The open areas are dominated by tall grass. Starting in the southeast corner is a stream, which winds its way generally northwest until it forks about 300m from the north edge and both forks exit. Bordering the stream are trees, rough and swamps. There are no man-made features on the map. Visibility = 90.

Troops: Battalion Strength – 1 Armor Co. (6xT26 1939, 4xT26 M1931), 3 Infantry Co., 1 Support Co (3xHMG sec., 2x45mm ATGs, 2x82mm Mort. sec., 1xBA6 AC, 2xScouts w/trans., 1xEng. Plt, 1xAAMG sec. and 2xSupply Trucks). From Support Points, 4xScouts. Average force experience, ~75.

Time: 41 Turns

Analysis

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the map was how the objectives, although scattered, seem fairly densely packed. It might be just my impression.

The level 20 hill does provide long range visibility of the map, but the majority of my force will be infantry. They can get pretty close without being spotted. With the high visibility, vehicles will kick up a cloud of dust where ever they move anyhow. I can use the AIs tendencies with respect to dust to my advantage here.

One thing that will play into my deployment is the stream. Any vehicles that will actually be used to advance on the enemy will deploy west of the stream. I don't want to have something I need get mired trying to cross. This means they will be in the southern part of the map.

Strength and force composition will play a major part of this battle. I might see a few German tanks, but no more than one platoon. Maybe not that many. Enemy infantry is likely to be a reinforced company; somewhere between 15-20 squads. Each of my infantry companies will be dealing with roughly six enemy squads each. All artillery should be on board and not much of it. Off board artillery is expensive and can't hold ground.

Plan

The first part of my plan is more of a special operation related to deception. One thing the AI likes to do is call in artillery on dust trails. With this in mind, my scouts will go without their rides for this battle. My Komsomolets (spelled correctly this time ) will stay east of the stream and run around, intentionally kicking up dust. IF the enemy targets them, I will counter battery will my mortars and try to take them out of the battle before it really starts.

Since my mission is an Advance, I've mapped out axes of advance for each of my infantry companies. Each one has two objective areas, which are shown on the Battle Plan map. Once all companies have made it to their first positions, they will all move out toward their secondary positions. Two scout teams with each company will push out in advance to try to identify enemy positions.

Support Company machine gun and ATGs will take up over-watch positions, primarily to be able to put fire on the large hill and the center of the enemy positions. Primary targets for ATGs will be any enemy tanks visible and will find positions to best enable them to engage such targets.

Armor units will be maintained in reserve until any enemy armor units are located. At that point, they will begin to maneuver against them. Once this begins, primary targets for all other units will be those with long range tank killing capability, aside from enemy tanks.

I've attached a map with my basic plan outlined on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battle Plan.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	10498