View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Request for auto backup of turn files

I agree that a backup would be great for debugging and information purposes (how much was that province I just lost worth?), but I think Dom3's no-saved-games strategy is important to its feel and I would understand if the developers were reluctant to back up ftherland, too, or otherwise enable easy "replays" because of a bad turn. I'm still learning the game and I'll occasionally back up my saved game files in order to either quickly test out a spell that I read about in the manual (which means playing several turns carelessly, mostly just hitting End Turn) or to experiment with different ways to deal with a bad position (effectively this becomes a scenario of its own--"General Mead has been sacked for incompetence and you are the new commander. What do you do?" Reminds me of John Ringo's military fiction, which sometimes starts with a huge military debacle to make the situation interesting for the hero). These are unusual scenarios, though, and I like the feel the no-saving gives to the game itself.

So far I play exclusively SP.

-Max Wilson

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]