View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2018, 03:08 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: thermal imaging...

Most interesting conversation in which I find a lot to agree with out here. John (Imp) does well to remind everyone this is a combined arms game, should I ever play a PBEM game this much I promise is that's how I've always balanced out my forces and why not? Isn't that what happens in RL and with the AI? Why would you do anything other yourself? That's the start point, "the fog of war" in between will determine how and if you arrive at your end point. That's how and when you'll really learn to play the game by knowing how to maximize your available forces at any given time under any given circumstances during a game. The AI in this game is persistent, you need to be more so just as I'm sure many human players are. Like a popular show on TV here, "you have to outwit and outlast your opponent(s) to win" regardless who that opponent is.

Playing the AI for as many years as I have before these current games, and generally speaking, I've found the AI from the start will buy top tier tanks, better than average troops, ATGM teams and some sort of artillery. My AI is normally always "tank heavy".

I prefer a platoon of the best tanks I can get, a mix of average to above average troops, artillery and if I have enough a pair of AH birds for tanks. And as I've stated many times I do maintain a logistics train (I only wish the AI could as well.). This gives me some greater flexibility in my assets with the cost being obviously expensive in resources and normally out numbered by the enemy. I do expand my "core" to cover other areas of the combined arms such as airmobile for deep insertions and as opponent HQ killers, which if I find them or suspect where they are I will take them out. If your going to kill a snake, you always cut off it's head.

Along with the above mentioned...

1. You must always "terrain mask" your units where you can, AI always has ATGM and SAM/AA units.

2. Like Chess, you should before you move look at least two to three moves ahead with your main attacking force. Also put yourself in the "If I was my enemy what would I do to counter what I see now." you must be able to anticipate your enemies moves.

3. If you're going to put your artillery in a CB position, you must go all in to be effective this is obviously referring to your "Off Map" arty. Anything less is ineffective. When to do this, that you'll just have to learn for yourself as I did. Just know there is a right time when to do this.

4. Never leave helos (or tanks) in the same space for more than a couple of turns, especially as you move closer to the front. Remember always the AI is constantly moving units to the front. So the concern is those ATGM and MANPAD teams getting within range to start creating havoc.

5. As pointed out by Suhiir, SEAD in very valuable in this game, because your best air anti-tank weapon is the AH. AI will very early on have advanced SAM units when it sees you have helos or start using air support. YOU need to buy the same as AI likes them as well, particularly ground attack and SEAD units. Your SEAD units are effective in suppressing rear area tanks/mortar and field arty that are over watching key victory hexes and combat units down range closer to the frontlines. This of course after they've met your SAM suppression requirements. Never seen the AI use them like that though.

6. AI China and Russia love to late in the game at times send in airmobile units to capture victory hexes behind your lines as well. Be prepared for this possibility.

7. Buy some SP field artillery, the above should make this clear. They're tough to spot and can give you more direct combat support.

8. There's so much more but, give yourself and the game a chance. Be patient it'll take many games to find your stride.

9. Don't be afraid to ask questions and for us in helping never forget you were where that person was once upon a time and against the right opponent maybe still are on any given turn where you made a / move.

10. JUST HAVE FUN! You'll find the right balance of forces once you determine the type of player you are but if your too aggressive well like the Russians said at KURSK "The Tigers are Burning". Too passive well, you'll pretty much also experience the above and just lose sooner regardless of who your opponent is.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; January 7th, 2018 at 04:12 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: