View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:50 AM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The FASTBOAT Patch page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
B. M551 TWO BOX (M551 CS in the game.)/JAN 1969 - JAN 1977/Modified for operations in Vietnam. Kit installed for turret and weapons stabilization after removing missile components (Except pwr. sup. & rate sensor.) w/no missiles. These modifications allowed for the increase of 152mm FLECETTE rounds and MG ammo stowage. This end date (Otherwise 1975 your choice.) allows for 2yr. overlap in conversion to;
The Technical Bulletin for the "Special Configuration" is dated May 1969, and a change was made in September 1969 to add in armor to the vehicle's underbelly to help protect against mines. I also wouldn't have though there would have been any M551s in Vietnam after the pullout of major ground forces, especially as none were turned over to the ARVN. I would suggest these vehicles were demodified as soon as they returned to the States or where ever else they were headed, though I really can't quickly find anything to back that up.

This source also states that the M551 was still being "washed out" of the majority of the active Army in 1978 and into 1979.
The Following User Says Thank You to thatguy96 For This Useful Post: