Thread: Wish Item
View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:54 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wish Item

If you have a problem seeing the objectives - look at the mini map, they show as luminous green dots on that. Click on a v-hex in the mini map to centre the main map on it. Or zoom the map out to the max.

If you have the objectives display turned off and so cannot see the little flags on the map - then turn it back on.

There is no running total of V-hexes ownership during the game since its irrelevant in the game until the very end (unless timed objectives, but AFAIR those show a message at end turn- been a few years since I programmed them and I am not grubbing about in the code to find out).

- Objectives only count at end game

- It is blindingly obvious which ones are taken, since the flag is shown on the map. If there is too much wreckage on them - turn wrecks off temporarily if you have the full game.

- Hover the mouse over an O-hex to see its value. Barring some human designed scenarios, they are usually all the same amount. If you really have to know each and every one, simply do that for each one - there are a maximum of 21. If you are really OCD about it then you can note them down on a sheet of paper.

- In generated games the objectives usually are in 3 clusters, so not exactly hard to find. Scenarios, or if you have the "shotgun" flag set and they may be scattered.

- Except in tiny little scenarios, the objective points are simply a bonus on top of the real points which is how much of the enemy force you have killed.

- Its not worth losing a 120 point tiger to take a 60 point objective. There is no need to "lemming" at them as the AI does. O-hexes are a guideline to the player, and a magnet for the AI (and new players who also have "tunnel vision" about them).

- Control of the objectives does influence the AI throwing in the towel early (Generally - all objectives taken*, enemy force is broken, no healthy enemy force close to an objective, no enemy reinforcements scheduled, and >the halfway point of the game).
(* I have seen the AI towel thrown in with 1 or 2 hexes still outstanding but the end results were of the 6700 points to me, 12 to the AI type.)

But remember - the game is about killing enemy forces, whilst minimising own casualties. It is not a "grab the flag and to heck with my forces losses" paintball type thingy.