Thread: On the cusp...
View Single Post
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: On the cusp...

Someone dropped the post count bomb. I got news for ya, post count does not mean anything. I have been lurking these boards forever. Forever, meaning literally for the past 5 years or longer since I found the site googling for a TBS engine or something.

I watched all you guys post through the entire life cycle of dominions 2 without making a post. My point is, post count means nothing.

This guy has some good points, and some bad points IMO...

1) I have mixed emotions about the RMG. I have written an RMG before and I am amazed at how organic illwinter's implementation is. The initial map generation time does not bother me because I know that I am going to be rewarded with a nice long game.

Pretender design on one screen, excellent idea considering you use a set amount of points to make the pretender. Would save a small bit of hastle.

Turn generation is just too slow on this game. It should not take as long as it does. I find myself spending more time surfing the net than making my moves. Not such a big deal for MP players I imagine, but I am primarily a single player guy and it is annoying. The only fix being to play smaller maps with less AI players, which is a let down.

2) This game keeps a team of 2 people, it is a bit unrealistic to ask for state of the art graphics using 3dstudio max or maya ffs. That being said, the castles atleast could be fixed, they are ugly and take up way too much space on the map, covering the nation flag normally.

3) Yeah, a two man company can afford to "pay" a GUI expert to come "clean house" .

4)Your turn report ideas sound good for the most part, most importantly give me a battle report from a storm the castle event or from "so and so was the victim of an assassination attempt."

5)Selling dominions 2 cheaper. I find it weird also that this game series does not seem to follow the laws of economics, atleast from the consumer's perspective. From our side of the field it does seem like some poor business choices have been made. That being said, we as consumers cannot say that with 100% certainty without knowing the full scope of production costs, and other various aspects that go into publishing the game. (Even with those things at an extreme, it is probably still a business flaw because the publisher has not found a way to optimize that process over the years, or found a better cheaper way to implement it).