View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:26 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Transport for U.S. Patriot Units-Update!

[/b] First I REALLY hate to beat a dead horse and I'm sorry if someone gets upset for continuing an "old" thread (OT),
(Dated 10-03-08 and active now.) with a new one.
This transport issue has been bothering me for sometime (We never would have guessed!) especially after having been around the ones "we might or not be carrying" aboard the various classes of subs I've served on. What is the MOST basic thing needed to launch ANY missile? Yes - power! Who ever allowed the Dutch (see OT) to have transport whether he realized it or not was on the right track. By rights NONE of the Patriot systems in the game should work without it because the tractor supplies all the power required for the trailor to include launching the missiles.
Case in point, U.S. Patriot missiles (Through PAC/3 in use now.) are carried onboard the M860A1 semi-trailor specifically designed for the Patriot. It is transported in the field by the
M983 Tractor (Shown I believe as the U.S. Tank Transport Tractor in the game.). And like that card this missile DOESN'T leave home without it because the altenator of the M983 supplies the 100amp power needed for ALL launcher fuctions via the M860A1
semi-trailer. Therefore transport and launching are all inclusive. And it takes no longer to transport then field arty as the game operates now (Or how it treats the DUTCH Patriot units.) Also a modified M983 Tractor flat bed provides field supply and reloading capbilities.
I would refer you to the pictures (Many showing the two
together.) provided in the "OT" or online and JANE's Worlds Military Transport book which provided the power info among others. Also I found an excellent site @ FAS.ORG/SPP/STARWARS/DOCOPS/FM44-85/Appe.HTM that goes into detail on transport loading requirments for the M983 and
M860A1.
And look out for MEADS which will replace the Patriot. This is a joint U.S., German and Italian project. Essentionally MEADS is a Patriot PAC/3 on steriods on a mobile 5-ton truck platform capable of launching 12 missiles with, combat field reloading just like the Patriot. Will be in launch field testing in 2011 and expected to be fully operational and in the field by 2014.
Thanks for your time and patience!!!
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; September 14th, 2009 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: Ties title to the original post more effectively.