Thread: AAR The Days Complete
View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Days Complete

The plan

Seeing the initial dispositions, I can see why the designer said the scenario will be hard. The battlefield is mostly open, with few urban areas. That will help Russian armor with its range advantage, and attack helos if the scenario has. To counter this, I have to make them fight for the few urban areas available, and hit Russian armor on the flanks and sides from close distance (preferably with tanks, as this will negate the APS the Russian tanks have and KE projectiles will be more effective than HEAT projectiles). My BMPs do have Spike ATGMs, and they can be used if I need to hit the tanks frontally, but only as a last resort. No Polish vehicle should trade shots in the open and frontally as this is a death sentence. I can hide vehicles behind villages and trees in order to negate the range advantage as well.
My artillery will work overtime. When they are not shooting, they should be moving. Russian artillery is very effective and WILL neutralize it if it stays static.
My Recon will probably have few chances of survival. However, I would like to have at least a few dismounted scouts surviving, as this will enable me to see the enemy actions and also act as arty observers. Most of them are expected to become casualties though.
I will defend in three phases. The first defense will be around the town of Kertyny Male up to the north and the goal will be to stall the Russian advance as much as possible. The second line will be around Lojdy. I hope that the Russians will come like a steamroller in the middle, enabling me to hit them from the flanks and cause significant casualties. A broad advance will be most problematic, however the large forests at the flank will make this very difficult (but not impossible). The third phase will be the town of Bartoszyce itself, where the final stand will take place.
If I manage to score around 25K of Russian casualties in points, I intend to make a serious counterattack. The target will be either the main body of the Russian maneuver units, or I will try to bypass the front units and hit the Russian artillery in the rear or any potential reserves they have. It is a daring plan, but I hate to stay static so I’ll take my chances.
So, without further ado, let’s see how the actual battle unfolds.
Turn 1:
A few skirmishes occur, with the loss of some Russian APCs. Other than that, nothing else.