Thread: obat46 Austria
View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:29 AM

Corporal

Shan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: obat46 Austria

Guys,

yes it's a fact that due to austerity measures there are several changes due - the Kuerassier has been decomissioned before though. So were several other systems, such as the JaPz Jaguar and the 20mm AA guns.

So far we know that the most important major weapon systems will 'only' be reduced in numbers, but they'll all remain available, e.g. Leopard 2A4, M109A5OE, Mistral, mortars, helos, 35mm Skyguard. The Ulan IFVs will of course remanin active as well. The Saurer SpZ are to be decommissioned, but are still there - not in an infantry carrier role though, just for supporting purposes. This role will be taken over by Iveco LMV and existing Dingo I and IIs.

Another thing that's always been in the OOB is the Pandur II - unfortunately it's never been ordered by Austria, and since the production facility over here is just being closed down, it's most unlikely it will ever be. Same thing goes for the GHN-45 gun howitzer - it was only tested and fielded for advertising purposes for export customers or so but it's always been in the OOB. In fact, other than 105s which were decommissioned back in the 1990s, we only had M-109s as artillery for a long time.

I don't think it's gonna be of any use to contact the MoD but there are several private websites available which could help - such as doppeladler.com or bundesheer-infoecke.at (?).

I'll post our OOB project as promised and you can take a look at it, unfortunately I'm at work this weekend...