Thread: Utility Sprite Editing Tutorial
View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sprite Editing Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
Yeah to that too, the rotation thing is annoying. Explanation to those who have idea what we are talking about: if you rotate an object in GIMP with angle other than 90 or 180, the GIMP will smudge the whole object. Really annoying. I've been digging the options to turn it off, but no luck. I still use it sometimes, althought the object needs *a lot* fixing afterwards.
That is not a limitation of GIMP, that's because the problem is really hard in general. You can rotate multiples of 90° without trouble, of course, because that just means that the pixel data is using another orientation. But you can't safely say how you can rotate odd values and keep the pixely image intact. Especially with low resolution graphics. If you have high res photographs, then the algorithms are good enough so that you almost don't notice that things were rotated afterwards, but for sprite graphics, you'll have to do it by hand, at least fix the image afterwards, no way around it. That's because the image consists of pixels, and the computer has no means of sampling new data.
Emergency comic relief
The Following User Says Thank You to lch For This Useful Post: