Thread: AAR "Enjoy the War."
View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Corporal

Wiking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Enjoy the War."

I can at least catch the gist of it, though my German is pretty poor to non-existent Its a really cool AAR though, thank you for sharing it!

I do like big fights but the problem with them is that then the game can devolve into a bit of a slog. The enemy is everywhere so maneuver is impossible or pointless, and you're as well off going straight up the middle as anywhere else. That and its pretty exhausting to annihilate hundreds of Soviet tanks with just AT guns and close assault, so I prefer to integrate my tanks into my core early on.

It may not be a strictly "tanker" game, but it IS a combined arms game. So I forgive myself the toys I take sometimes. Overall I like having a strong infantry component that is supported by a powerful armored component, that works in close conjunction with the artillery. I do think that if you're playing strictly as Grenadiers/Infanterie you can be forgiven for being a full batterie of StuG's in 1941 onward. It was very common for them to be available (indeed, often the only armor that infantry ever saw was a self-propelled gun).

The other alternative if you've hit 1942 would be to represent the Marder II's and III's that were added to the infantry division's anti-tank battalion TOE, but I think those were only the most fortunate units. I know one of those was the Reichsgrenadier-Division Hoch-und Deutschmeister (44th ID). Like Wiking, it was destroyed at least once during its career but it had access to an unusual amount of heavy weapons and equipment which makes things a little more interesting to me than the basic line divisions.

Someone should do a campaign for them, both pre and post Stalingrad!