View Single Post
Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:33 AM

Private

willchill is on a distinguished road
Default very impressed !

Hi Andrew,

I've been playing the Demo and wanted to say that I am very impressed with the game you have created... It really is the perfect recreation of an 18th century naval wargame. The attention to detail in terms of ship sailing, fighting, boarding, fleet control etc. all look great, and from what I have seen of the campaign elements involving repairs, refit, crew morale etc. this looks like it will be an impressive - and important - element too !

So I'm eager with anticipation for the final release of the product. I agree with comments posted elsewhere that the camera movement is a bit awkward - mostly I didn't like the inability to zoom in an out when a ship has been selected, but i understand you are making some changes to this.

Some minor comments if you are still tweaking the game:

Is there a kind of "fleet morale" factor? It seems a bit odd to have a ship strike its colours when the battle as a whole is being won convincingly... maybe they could just drop out of the line and stop firing instead?

Does the AI attempt to break off action when it is losing? For a campaign I think it would be important that the AI does not fight to the death the whole time... and in a way the biggest decision is how closely to engage at all ! (but too much realism here could be a bit dull I know !)

Will there be RPG elements for Admirals/Captains, as they grow in experience etc. affecting morale of their crews?

I'm curious as to the different difficulty settings available for the AI by the way - and how the AI works generally. It seems to be a key tactic to attack/rally to isolated ships or squadrons. In the 3rd demo battle I played, the French 1st rate Tonnant got totally dismasted, and the AI squadron should have rallied round her, to protect her and benefit from her firepower, but instead they seemed more intent on getting to the victory markers !

Anyway, it looks a great game, so congratulations and I look forward to getting my hands on the finished product.

Will