View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moldavia shall be united principality

Turn 1:
TABC-79 of attached recon gets ambushed by paramilitary forces not further than 700m away from my starting positions. Looks like Moldovans mobilized irregulars quick enough to react.
I am plotting my first ATROM battery to soften up paramilitaries. I know I shouldnt be using heavy guns in populated city but... are these paramilitaries even uniformed?

Friendly losses: 1x TABC-79 with crew
Enemy losses: none

Turn 2:
To the north still no contact at all, my mechanized battalion deploys wide and begins loose formation advance through the fields. I am plotting some arty around the wooden bridge, just in case enemy would think about ambushing me.
In the city outskirts, I stack up my forces for the first push when ATROMs ared done. one MLI-84 accidentally crashes into a house and left combat before it even began.

Friendly losses: 1x TABC-79 with crew
Enemy losses: none

Turn 3:
Danger close fire mission completed in the outskirts. Recon with tank support rushes in... no, recon doesnt, they refuse as my fire scared them a bit. Instead, tank takes a lead and indeed finds enemy militia section reorganizing after the FM. Bizonul kills 3 militia and forces them to retreat. I am informed that there is Militia with RPG right in front of my tank (100m). I decide to hold position and observe that sector, since tank is invulnerable for PG-7V rounds. TABC adresses that sector with suppresive fire and another tank moves in, forcing second militia squad to retreat and badly mauling the already running one.
Another Bizonul moves in and annihilates entire running squad. I am currenty unshure about situation up ahead, especially recon stayed back for a while, so I hold the tanks here. Mechs wait in reserve till when it gets hotter.
Southern sector clear... no, it is not! My scouts expected something unussual here and disembarked. They have avoided RPG ambush, but got under hirrucane fire from border guards. TABC tried to fend off enemy squad till reinforcements arrive, but 2 scouts are already down. FUrthermore, another Border Squad is found, camping close by for crossfire! Bizonul comes in for help, attracting no fire. After bringing down the building with BGs (and possibly civilians, too) it fires smoke screen to cover remaining TABC vehicles from fire. Mechs follow close by, but its gonna take like 3 minutes before they catch up. Recon cover must be enough for now.
North unopposed as for now.
My artillery damages several buildings, but nothing collapses.

Friendly losses: 2 recon soldiers
Enemy losses: 7 militias

Turn 4:
To the north, bridge just bombarded prooves to be clear. My forces advance with no resistance.
To the south, my tanks, working closely with recon, eliminates the pocket of resistance made by BGs. Most of them die under heavy fire. However, one more section is spotted nearby and suppresive fire is not enough. Enemy answers and eliminates a single scout. Scouts however reply with help of TABC and enemy losses equal one map. This time is used by a tank to charge forward and catch them as soon as they run away.
Just afterwards, a drama occurs. Yet another ambush BG squad fires a RPG and breaks a track of Bizonul. Situation is critical for the crew. The rest of the tanks move in for help and hurricane fire kills several BGs and levels the building. Tank is saved!
Gen. Tonea realises that his forces are without infantry protection for now and orders a halt in advance after this 5 minutes firefight, in which 30-40 enemies are casualties to just 3 casualties on our side. Mechanized forces are catching up now.
Sector central: after heavy pounding, my forces move in. To my dismay, elements of regular forces already ARE in the city. A fight rups in which recon soldier dies. Straight afterwards, another TABC-79 get into ambush by paramilitaries. Vehicle is destroyed, however crew is fine. But 2 other scouts are killed in the process. Armour responce is failed: a HE round routes the militias, but accidentally kills a single crewman. The remaining scout team is whiped by satchel charge, supporting the militias. AK-74 is firing nearby; regulars are here as well. They carry PG-7VL rounds, already dangerous to my tanks. After heavy fighting my tanks clear the way so far, but it is still held by straglers.
Main elements of BG1 go forward, with guns blazing and killing everything what moves. Dozens of enemy troops run around scared. A slaughterhouse. But my tanks again advance too fast without protection. I decide to keep my distance from several flats ahead and pin them before moving in. Then my infantry tries to disembark closely, I take first 3 casualties of my core force. It seems another platoon is holed up. We have extremely powerful line defence here. But it aint gonna work. Reason: thermals. I send in UAV to this sector. I restrain from using my other air sorties, as they are too slow for my advance and may cause unneccesary damage.
I am conducting several danger close FMs praying for accuracy of my awesome guns and skills of my FOs.

During the enemy turn, several squads try to attack my vehicles with RPGs. They utterly fail and take a few more casualties in the process.

Friendly losses: 5 scouts, 3 soldiers, 1 crewman, 1 Bizonul immobilized, 1 TABC-79
Enemy losses: 30-40 BGs, 10+ regulars, 30+ militias, generally circa 100 men lost

Turn 5:
Romanian military disposes 7 UAVs. Sadly, now they dispose 6. My UAV gets under five from DsHKMs and singular ZPU in the city centre. When it is already retreating, a salvo hits it and brings down. Tonea is in trouble now. UAV however provided some valuable info on enemy deployment. Looks like we have some major deployment in flats estate. Tonea holds the advance and utilizes air strikes in order to soften the defences up.
Sector north still empty, my forces go full throttle.
Sector south: after eliminating some straglers, my TABC goes around the corner and is immediately spotted my MTBL with Fagot missiles. There is an unsuccessful launch. Yet another also fails, TABC does not retreat but fires back with no success. My tank moves in and finishes the job. When I enter the crossroads where my advance should stop for now, another Fagot fires, but CIWS defends the Bizonul. Shortly afterwards another ATGM bites the dust. Other tank platoon patrols nearby when enemy nearly hits it with RPGs. Militia retreats towards heavily urbanized area and foot chase is needed here. And, holy ****, when support is brought in, another section awaits very close and first Bizonul is down.
Oil factory seems to be clear, but obviously heavy enemy forces are still present here. A scout is killed in the process of clearing. Mechanized forces are nearly there.
Central: Christ, there is even more of them there. Another platoon is discovered. They are NOT going to give up these godforsaken flats. It is imperative for me to clear the first line of flats to have a good staging point when my artillery and air force moves in. Molvodan regulars hold for extremely long. They resist to retreat unless half of the squad is down. The target is achieved eventually, not without heavy firefight. Only casualty registered is one scout. Enemy lost dozens. Another 2 scouts die later on. Enemy defences are arm-by-arm. But is it enough against 100mm?
Morale of the Molvadians is shocking for Romanian HQ.

During the enemy turn, extremely lucky militia team blows the **** up from another tank. These vehicles are rather expensive, we must cut the casualties low!

Friendly losses: 1 UAV, 2 Bizonuls, 4 scouts
Enemy losses: 2x MTBL ATGM, dozens of enemies
The Following User Says Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post: