Thread: MBT's
View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2020, 12:38 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

First respond to RC4, Many different types of equipment will be given to "combat" units for OPEVAL, R&D etc. purposes, however< that does not mean that piece of equipment has been "adopted", "inducted", "fielded", "FOC" or any other term different countries may use and to my "chagrin" choose to use.

By way of example if you wish, go to the "Patch Thread" and in the submissions (MBT's) there were dates changes due to some of the following reasons that equipment I've found were "operational" in the game due to the fact they "signed an MOU", "signed a contract", "production has started", "first units delivered to country or service branch" and on a rare occasion, someone saying they're "getting it" and they "got it" in the game and it's found that it never really happened due to "contract cancellation", "project cancellation", "can't afford it" and for reasons that fit everything in between.

So when I or anyone comes across with an article from a respectable source(s) (And personally for me doesn't include WiKi or Wiki Military) from especially the government that bought the equipment for the military branch saying they've inducted that piece of equipment on "X" date I'm posting that because it saves Don and I a lot of work up front vice on the backside.

And on my side of the fence, I don't have to deal with the issues I listed above.

This not a "slam" it's just in the case of those VT-4 tanks we have a solid source and date for them in the OOB, which I'm sure by now Don has already taken care of and hopefully won't require any rework like INDIA, USA ABRAMS and now the GERMAN LEOPARDS.

Now...

The "Sniper Detection System" we in very "loose" terms have it in the game, the sound data base, so on a Submarine we add detection gear and from many different sources we can get acoustic signatures and I'll stop there as you can look up what I just described, anymore then that, someone might decide to "deep six" me!?!

Same principle is applied to land equipment so equipped. Sound attenuates at certain frequencies and decibels based on environmental conditions. Just like we can detect a target by it's "acoustic signature" all you need is a good database, means of detection and some processing power. All of which an APC can support (And some tanks). For a Sniper it'll be able pull out a single shot from background and the frequency range used by sniper weapons in the database and you don't necessarily have to be "spot on" to a particular weapon.

They are are tied into the weapons systems which will "slew" the weapon to the "close proximity" of where the detection system and FCS computed the shot came from.

The TERREX APC from Singapore was I believe the first operational platform to have this system onboard. It also was one of my very early posts in the APC Thread I believe during "field tests" the accuracy of the system was within less than a "handful" of meters.

Supposedly newer systems are "tighter" then that now. They have what we "umbrella" now as part of "situational awareness" on land equipment.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; October 9th, 2020 at 01:04 AM..