View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:30 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blackhorse 11th ACR delay vs 117th GMRR advanc

Quote:
lopezonline said:
I heard about thermal defeating smoke, it was inpenetreble to thermal sights beacause of it's high temprature, but i can't give you any specific intel. Mayby it was just rumor, but this info is from "Military magazine" so... mayby it's true. And come to think of it... i wonder why WinSPMBT doesn't have implanted "smoke generators" on tanks... i know that something like that exists...
for some data on types of smoke that blind IR - see the table in the section USE OF SMOKE in FM 7-20 ch7

(Which suggests that we should terminate/reduce any laser rangefinder advantages through smoke it seems?)

And the best way to deal with an enemy with TI and other IR devices is dust (not modelled in SP games) - best done really by dropping artillery barrages onto the enemy position perhaps? - or arrange a convenient sandstorm!

As to vehicle smoke generators - how exactly would you implement them in the game?. Where does the smoke go - in the tank's own hex, or one behind it?. Do you lay it when moving from hex to hex only - if so in the vacated hex or the one behind?. when do you allow the user to switch it on and off - if on and off in the same hex, the user could "magically" make a really thick screen by repeated unlimited switching on and off... Oh - and if you create smoke in a hex, then you cannot use the UNDO function, either.

So - yes we looked at it in the contrext of the SP system, but it was too horrendous to do, and in real life it is really not of much use anyway - you cover everyone behind you (and blind them with choking part-burned diesel fumes) while the lead (smoking) elements are out in the open uncovered waiting to be picked off.

Cheers
Andy