Thread: Normandy 1944
View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2017, 04:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Normandy 1944

Just to make my position clear I think artillery in our game is, generally, a fair bit under powered in terms of causing casualties. I routinely play WWII games with artillery set at 175% and MBT games with artillery set at 150% (And I still think it is a bit under performing).

In both WWI and WWII artillery was the biggest killer of fighting soldiers, far ahead of Machine guns (another thing, I agree with Suhiir, our game also under estimates a little, especially MMG' and HMG's).

If my test had resulted in two or three Tigers destroyed, two or three immobilised, and most of the rest retreating, all of them buttoned up, I would say that would have been a pretty realistic result.

I also contrast the result I got with four Battleships and a Heavy Cruiser, with using just five units of the best rocket armed Typhoons (the SAP rockets are much better than the AT rockets in the game) that would totally ruin a Company of late war Konigstigers even with say two units of late WWII SPAA. I doubt, very much, that is a historically accurate result.

As I said earlier, the Commander of the Panzer Lehr Division, in bemoaning his losses from days of allied air attacks while moving up to the Normandy front, says he only lost a total of five tanks from all these allied air attacks, although he lost many other soft and weaker AFV's...

The Naval Artillery Results are a bit too weak and the air force results a a fair bit too strong. Just my view.
The Following User Says Thank You to IronDuke99 For This Useful Post: