Thread: Carriers
View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2017, 08:44 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikkiwik View Post
The book above says this about experiments testing the mounting of a PIAT in a carrier.
-Extended trials revealed that ... it was impossible to keep the projectile in place. It became dislodged and potentially lethal at the first bump.-
If the PIAT is to be loaded just prior to action then cocking the weapon reqired the user to stand upright, or sit with his legs straight requiring him to most likely leave the vehicle entirely.
So maybe unit 456 PIAT carrier should be replaced with Bren carrier carrying a PIAT team?

Loading and cocking a PIAT are two different things. You are right that when you first cock the weapon this would likely be done outside of the Carrier, prior to entering combat.

But once cocked, you don't have to place a bomb in the tray. Which your book says could become dislodged while driving. I don't know when they conducted those trials, as they did develop a clip to keep the bomb in place. But this is possibly irrelevant. If I was in the Carrier I would cock the weapon prior to battle, but keep the bomb out of the tray until an enemy is spotted.

The PIAT would re-cock itself upon firing, so they would not have to get out of the Carrier to reload. Unless the firer failed to hold the PIAT firmly, but this may not be an issue if it was a solid vehicle mount.

Cheers,

Cross