Thread: Artillery
View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:13 PM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Artillery

I have played all the SP incarnations since the game came out, with the exception of the original SP2, and to this early point the arty seems too effective to me.

At first the AI Poles were mostly bombarding with 75mm HOW's in places where I had little or no units. Now, however, they have found a good sized force of mine and it's pretty awful; something I surely wouldn't expect from 75's. About that time I noticed this blast radius thing and turned it on. As I've read so far, it would appear this radius is always in place and it may have just coincided with the Poles finding a good-sized force, but the carnage seems extreme to me.

In the span of approximately 3 turns I've lost an estimate of 12-15 vehicles; mostly tanks such as the PZ38t.

Another frustrating thing is I can't figure out just what sort of mission I have. Normally I know such a thing, from the start, but I do question whether I know it when I thought I was in an assault and haven't seen a single mine. I have a 3200pt force and have met 3 PO AC's with maybe 15 squads of infantry and I have spotted some arty puffs of smoke, etc. I'm not quite through with the battle, but it definitely has airs of being a basically non-existent enemy. This is all the more frustrating combined with arty devastation noted above. Are the Poles picking almost nothing but 75 HOW's? That's not too interesting. The force seems extremely light for a tank-heavy force option. I believe I'm playing on a 200X140 generated map. I may be on a mission that isn't an assault, as I've restarted the campaign so many times I may had got mixed up.

One last thing, I have brought up a lot of things that don't have too much to do with arty here, but I do that to not only give the overall atmosphere but also because I can't see how I can start a new topic. Supposedly I do have that privilege.

I have bought the cd too and hope that the arty will be adjusted. I'm not too keen on fiddling with things like armor toughness as it just seems too arbitary and I'm not too sure how it works anyway. I must also say that I don't think I have ever seen anyone give the Polish tank guns so much penetration. Combine that with the arty in this game and the Gerrys wouldn't have accomplished a thing. I have hardly used my own arty in this game, and I'm glad of that as it turns out, because if it had been otherwise I guess I wouldn've had even less fights than I did by far. Well, I'm sure it will be adjusted in some manner.

Now how about telling me how I start a new topic? Thanks.