View Single Post
Old November 29th, 2018, 04:44 PM

Corporal

gingertanker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IDF OOB project.

Okay so let's get all these older Armored Cars out of the way.

Unit 091 "GMC A/Car"
This is somewhat confusing but as far as I can tell from various forums as well as a book about IDF ordnance in the early years, these were GM Canada made Otter Light Reconnaissance Cars that were used by the British Police in the Mandate of Palestine. ~10 of these were stolen in various and hilarious ways (Imagine getting off your A/Car to get a pack of smokes and the Hagana steals the thing before you get back).
I have 2 images of the modified Otters in IDF service, both have machine guns only and no guns. Both have a M1919 in the turret, and the hull gun on one is an MG34 while the other has a second M1919 in the hull. The M1919 was quite rare in 1948, the MG34 was far more common. I suggest therefor:
Change unit 091 name to "Otter A/Car". Replace weapon in slot one to MG34. Remove the weapon from slot 3 entirely. Change start date to 5/48.

Unit 092 Humber Mk II is okay, there were some other variants but they are not really that different to the other A/C in the OOB. Do you wish me to specify or should we live this alone?

Unit 093 "Marmon-Herr IVF" as with 092 this is fine, however there was also a turretless version captured and used. Not sure if worth the trouble.

Unit 095The Panhard had a very short career in the IDF. Yes, even shorter then depicted in the OOB. They were only purchased in 1966, for Duchifat - an airborne recce/AT unit. The idea was to use them as AT support/armor for the paratroopers. But they were too heavy when combat ready to be used well by IAF transports of the time. They were used in 1967 and in 1968 and took horrible casualties. Hence they were removed from service. I suggest:
Unit 095: change start date to 1/67 and end date to 12/68