Thread: Flak issue
View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2019, 05:24 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flak issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarty.geoff View Post
I'm saying even a light mortar team loaded down with a reasonable amount will only have a few minutes of sustained fire capability. 1kg bomb * 20 rnds * 3 men / 20rpm = 3 mins fire effect. It's why they were particularly a stupid weapon that was phased out of most armies. Not to mention their cost inefficiency compared to artillery. Although I really like them for modern mechanized infantry usage. If a WinSP turn is supposed to be 2 minutes and I believe the 50/60mm mortars carry 80 "shots" which should represent rates of sustained fire / 4 shots per turn (excuse errors been a while since I played). That represents 20 minutes of effective fire or 400kg of ammunition between 3 or 4 men. Pretty goofy numbers.
It's also a major reality break problem with Moylan's Combat Mission series. Mortars and cannon on a foot advance have very limited capability.
Firstly as far as I know light mortars made a comeback though grenade launchers seem to have taken over the role now.
In game there may be an error with some double Light Mortar Platoons (2 mortars 6 men 60 rounds a mortar)
Normally a 3 man team carries 30 - 45 rounds for its mortar not 80 so 4 fire missions at full ROF.