View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game Suggestions

Quote:
scott_wakeling said:
As an aside, what do people think of the oil/lantern feature with regards to further developments? For example, Moria makes good use of needing fuel to light your way, with the final punishment being just a black-out (which I actually find more annoying than just dying, flailing around in the dark getting picked on is just so annoying!?).
I think any RPG that has consumption elements in it will probably always lead to divided opinions on the subject. I haven't felt Scallywag's oil usage was too draconian, but at the same time I get really annoyed with RPGs that force you to eat. There's nothing worse than being a bad *** barbarian who skins demons with his eyes closed on level twenty, slowly dying because you forgot to pack enough Powerbars.

Of course a lot depends on how it is handled. If you starve and the effect is you lose a couple hit points and that's it, fine. Likewise, yeah, if you're punished by flailing around in the dark that sucks.

Perhaps for future development oil consumption is an option that could be toggled off and on? If on it works as normal, if off the lantern becomes a magic lantern that never burns oil.