View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Corporal

klausD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Welcome Star Legacy Development Group!

Great, a new 4x game in the works. Bravo!

I am a big Fan of Space Empire IV (but not SEV because of the real time combat and the IMO unnecessary 3D engine) and MOO2.

What I think the new 4x game should include is following:

-supporting modern monitors - this means mostly 1920x1080 or at least not much below. Reason: many people hat such monitors today and 2011 when the game appears, many more will have them. One of the main problems I have with SEIV is the low monitor resolution.

-BIG universe. with modern computers universe sizes with many hundred or even thousand star systems should not be a problem. There could even be multiple universes connected with "jump points" or so.

-several ways to travel hyperspace. SE had jump points. MOO2 had jump gates and normal FTL drive. I would appreciate not a single method for ship-travel.

-tactical TURNBASED ship-to-ship battles. Please no realtime! For PBEM or LAN games there should be a strategic combat resoluton option like in SEIV or MOO2. And make the battles large - no or a high ship cap per battle would be fine.

-ground combat. It would be fine and enough to have basic ground combat with fixed unts. Eg. just dividing infantry, drop troopers and tanks or so. More complexity is IMO not necessary, except you have an excellent ruleset behind it.

-the possiblity to build carriers. (like SEIV)

-easy economic rules. Please no hidden formulas. One of the strengths of SEIV and MOO2 was the possibility to calculate and anticipate economic values without having complicated and arcane mathematical formulas. Allowing too complex and hidden formulas and/or "intuitive" sliders etc. ruin the fun of a game for me.

-possibility to easy mod the game similar to SEIV. (one of the weak points of MOO2 which didnt allow this)

I dont need fancy grafics, I consider them nice but they normally dont contribute to my fun if the rest of the game is "meh". I would be content if the grafics are as good as in say MOO2.

If you do a game along these points, count me in. Then I am the first one who will buy it.