View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:15 AM

Corporal

kennydicke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cinggis Qayan, Wrath of the Khans

Gregstom, ute: I don't know what these mean, but I just noticed you are a colonel and I'm a private. ute: again.

Quote:
I definitely like the flavour of the mod and the source material.
Thanks. I do too. If I ever make another mod it would be for the race that even the Mongols feared. No, not the Vikings (a la, Eaters of the Dead/The Thirteenth Warrior; those were Tartars anyway, cousins of the Mongols, or sometimes, an alternate name for them). Nope, not the Japanese, whom live on an island chain the dynastic Mongol rulers of China considered to be *cursed* after having lost all their expeditions to said islands to weather events. (Shades of another certain Armada which attacked an imperialistic island nation, no?) Yes, that's it, the Goryo (Koreans); a country with the distinction of being the only Asian nation to have never been fully conquered by foreign invaders. They would be fun because they used Mongol, Chinese, Japanese and Rus equipment, depending on who they were fighting. Typically, like versus like. I hesitate because they were the originators of gunpowder/fireworks and this doesn't sit well with dominions. (However, copious fire-mages and flaming bows do...) And there is always my house Machaka mod, but that will never see the light of another computer until they get some real love from the forum-goers [or CBM].

Quote:
Balance-wise, the longbow is basically 'best in the game' level for bows. The Quyanate greatbow should preobably be in line with that sort of power (drop the AP, range 40-45, and you still have an impressive bow).
Yeah, I tried to emphasize their superior weaponry, and probably over-compensated. Seems there is no way to keep #armorpiercing, so it's gone (from the community at least, it's special place in my heart ensures it in my house version.)

Quote:
Also in balance terms, Horsebows should probably be less powerful than a composite bow - especially in terms of range.
Actually, horsebow, recurve bow and composite bow are functionally interchangeable terms, as they all generally refer to a Hunnic-style bow. Once again, however, emphasizing superior weaponry has lead to overcompensation.

Quote:
Currently your opponents have the unenviable challenge of crossing the entire battlefield under longbow fire in order to engage units who can face down heavy cavalry. If the cavalry had to start off closer to their enemies it would redress the issue somewhat. Perhaps a range of 25-30?
This was also the unenviable task of everyone who ever tried to stand against the Huns, Mongols, Turks, early Persians, Xiongnu, Cossacks and a host of other central Asian tribes. I tried to emphasize this too, at the cost of balance, apparently.

Quote:
As regards the vanguard, it'd work just great if you gave it a lance instead of a light lance (or made it a special copy of the lance with lower damage).
Anyone have a problem with me making a #newweapon for all the units that is somewhere between the two lances?

Quote:
At the moment it's trying to use a light lance in one hand and a sabre in the other.
That is actually how they fought, according to historians of modern times and antiquity. Once again, true life does not make for dominions balance.

Quote:
Magic-wise, Water is probably the only path you can't get at level 3 (well, B3 is very unlikely, but you have some Blood access so the rest will follow eventually). Again, this is probably a little too much.
I wasn't even thinking that three in most paths was unbalancing, but on second thought you are surely correct. And three was my goal. I'll be sure to try to balance this on the next update, or the one after.

Quote:
The mages/clerics: They're pretty much all named as worshipping a specific god - great historically, but not quite so good if your Pretender is called Bob. Why would worshippers of a deity other than the Pretender get priest levels or sacred status? Their mixture of diversity and power could be addressed by making one sect the priests of your Pretender and casting the rest as also-rans. Give the also-rans a chance of getting one level (and no more) in their chosen paths (maybe give one of the also-ran sects the possibility of level 2 in their paths, come to think of it) and you'll have something better in line with most nations.
Again, you are correct, I think. My reasoning was taking a more pantheonic (true to life) approach. In the end, no matter who their favored god was, they all worshiped either Tengri or Ulgen. Much like the greeks all worshiped Zeus, no matter the favored god of the cult or temple. My goal was creating a host of cults (isn't Pythium like that? maybe it's another nation? maybe Mictlan? or maybe I'm dead wrong!) that all worked together towards a shared goal. Plus, part of it was taking into account the no hardpath status of many of the mages. (You may not have to buy a lab, but you *do* have to buy a temple; which you might not have done otherwise.) Once again, this *will* be addressed according to popular census over my own whims. And the part of making two max of any path other than Air and Astral would probably still work fine.

Quote:
You've a shedload of great material in this mod, and I reckon there's enough here for a mod in each age. Give each age a focus on a different sect and you'd have the basis of 3 great mods.
That is a very distinct possibility, though I would want proper sprites first. I did dislike posting with vanilla graphics. It would be harder for me to separate it into three mods than to balance one, methinks. That being said, I am in no way against it, I love your ideas, I think they do make great sense balance-wise (I'm rather unfamiliar with vanilla MA nations, other than machaka), and will probably want to do this in the future. Hopefully, before Dec 21, 2012.

Thanks a lot, Gregstrom. You guys seem to have the best intentions at heart. Hopefully, I can make the most of them.