View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:02 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Big Map mid size force

This is more a question than an AAR prompted by a mid sized force on a large map. Jordan vs Israel 1966 meeting, took what computer offered hilly terrain with visibility of 24 & the computer nearly gave me a fright.
Sent 2 of 3 infantry companies out to probe with 1 back & 2 tank comp trailing as reaction force. One force gets a minor contact the other tanks & a few halftracks then more tanks appear. Go to bail them out sharpish & the AI is on form does a great job with arty as it can do sometimes. This is actually quite a hard fight & about 3 turns in a scout well towards the other side spots a couple of halftracks. This turns out to be a platoon or 2 of tanks & 2 companies of Halftracks totally ignoring vic hexes & running for my rear, Ah thats why I am fighting a mainly tank force.
AI must have delayed their jump from the start line & created one of the best battles I have played against it. It had the initative for most of the game with me reacting to it & just managing to save my arty park, fun.

So the question
With a mech force do you prefer to play on a dense map (high unit count to real estate) or an open map (the reverse) as above?

Certainly against the AI I think the second gives a better generated battle & you get less Kamakazie runs where it sends one unit after another, no roads seems to help also.
In fact if you play as you would another player so attack don't sit & wait for the inevitable rush it can sometimes throw up a good challenge if you take the inferior force.
In the main battle it even tried sending a flanking force round some woods which bumped into mine doing the same, raised a smile as caught me moving flat out.