Old June 5th, 2003, 08:25 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Space Empires IV: Modding and other Help Tools/Information

POV-RAY PLANET GENERATOR
Created by Ed Kolis
koliset@email.uc.edu
http://galileo.spaceports.com/~ekolis

This program generates scene description files for the POV-Ray raytracer that describe planets that can be used in computer games or spacey style art.

NOTES:
To render the images, POV-Ray (freely available at www.povray.org) is required.
POV-Ray will complain if it is open when the Render button is clicked; please close POV-Ray before attempting to render anything.
I did intend for the program to be able to run POV-Ray to render the image, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to close POV-Ray when it was done (and only after it was done), which was causing trouble the next time I tried to render an image! So I had to remove anything related to the actual rendering and left that up to the user. (Sorry!)
Also, if you're looking at the source, you might notice none of the classes I created are used at all... well I was GOING to use them, then it got more convenient to just use the values in the controls!
For true atmosphere transparency, not only must opacity be set to 0 but color must be set to white; otherwise, the light seems to get "filtered" by the color of the supposedly transparent atmosphere.

1054837511.zip