View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2017, 08:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 48. Seela's Pioneers

[quote=Gerry1;840180]Thanks very much for the tips. I tried some of those ideas but I am sure my execution was probably not great. T-34s at 50m did a lot of damage to my infantry in the buildings.

A few more questions:
1) What do you do with the SPWs after unloading as they are so thin skinned and the Soviets have T-34s and ATG? Do you move them around to get eyes on part of the battle? In this scenario if they try to support infantry with MG fire they will expose themselves.

2) Some of you have read way more WW II history than me. I am wondering how the Germans historically decided when to dismount from the APCs and also get off the road when they didn't have armored cars for scouting. (As you say in the scenario you need a good first turn so if you are too cautious it will not work.)

Thanks again.

[quote=jivemi;840176]

1) Against tanks or ATGs always leave APCs behind the infantry, waiting for them to deal with the steel monsters, AT guns, etc. Once they've crushed resistance then remount the Pioneers to head for other objectives. Personally don't use APCs (or armored cars--too expensive) for scouting, except when pressed for time or considering whether to advance tanks along a particular route. In the latter case a blown-up HT is cheaper than a tank!

2) Seems much of tactical combat "history" is either anecdotal, classified, or obscure. Really don't know about German mechanized infantry doctrine. Perhaps someone with more information could enlighten us?
The Following User Says Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post: