Thread: Drone tanks
View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2016, 12:57 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Drone tanks

I see "suppression" being assigned to lesser degree maybe, but, still there in terms of "electronics" and reliability of internal moving parts i.e. the auto loader etc. The constant jarring of a tank taking multiple hits and near misses is bound to have an effect on all the extra circuitry and computers that will be required not to mention also extra sensors around the tank also that'll be more susceptible to artillery fire etc. The other issue will be how do you treat the "experience" level? A tank crew are made up of mechanics and technicians, hopefully cross trained that can keep the tank in the fight. Point being there's a lot to take into consideration here, and I'm afraid that until the ARMATA goes into combat with it's automated computer based turret (But with a crew to repair damage as they will have access to the turret.) we're not going to have much in the near to mid term on to be able to much more than guess on the capabilities of such a tank. Just a few quick thoughts.
But technology does march on.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..