View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road
Default Automated redirect for old post/thread links

Folks,

Okay I have written some php code to automagically redirect old forum threads from shrapnelcommunity to the correct thread on forum.shrapnelgames.com. Essentially what I did when we migrated is I stored off the referential ID links between the following items between the new and old boards:

Users
Attachments
Polls

My plan is to use this data to one by one put in code to redirect (via the 404 call from apache) any incoming link for the above items to the new links in the new forum. This will resolve any old links in the forums and will also, over time, replace bad links on search engines.

So far I have gotten this to work for threads and am working ont he other items.

What I need is first off people to test that this works for threads. Keep in mind that means links to old threads, not individual posts. What I also need is links to some of the other items listed above so I have a testbed to work from with real links people still can find in old posts/links/etc.

So far I have tested this with the old thread links in Ich's signature and those have worked.