View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Corporal

MrToxin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just a Crazy Weapon Idea....

Quote:
Fyron said:
The AI has no idea about that though, and will tend to do lots of retrofits anyways. It might be possible to code in a /5 somewhere in the AI logic to only make them retrofit if more than 5 levels out of date, or something.

When upgrading a design to the latest tech, you don't need to manually switch out any modules anyways; just use the "Upgrade" button instead of "Copy."
Yeah, that's part of the reason that I'm NOT looking forward to finally programming AI for this mod. That's one of the last things I'll do, as it's going to be a massive problem to get it to understand all of its quirks, especially in cases like this one (facilities get a bit more ugly). I'm thinking that programming it to research some levels of specialized technology, then the base tech for the weapon, and THEN retrofitting might work but then there's other modules to worry about...quite a puzzle, that one.

Of course, with everything being gutted and redone single player games will need AI anyway, though the basic idea here is to give every empire some different flavor. I have some basic notes scratched down as to what races will specialize in what, their favorite technologies, their general strategy, and hopefully how they'll adapt to other empires and what they use. But, oy...first things first, finish the mod.