View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 10 questions from the devs.

Not sure if this is still relavent, and I haven't played all the difficulty levels yet but...

1) What are your favorite features/items/etc. in the game?

The easy to learn tough to master aspect of exploring. You basically jump in and off you go, no real complicated rules or tricky subscreens to navigate or tedious stats to grind, read what an item does, then just drag and drop cargo and items where you want them, simply brilliant. My favorite items are the "uber" items, specifically finding them, it's like finding treasure. Top of the list would be the "wish-granting" bauble, the hyper drive, and the gong. Also Ilike the 1 credit weenie items, it gives me something to trade with at swap meets.

2) What are your least favorite features/items/etc. in the game?

Well, it's not so much that the stuff in the game irks me it's just small things I wish I could do. For example in the combat sim It would be nice to be able to customize the ships with items i've found in the game. It looks like when i put a ship in my fleet it's just the stock ships, some of which greatly outclass others.

Second, I would like to see a weapon or device that lets me board, capture and plunder/scuttle enemy ships in the combat screen, kinda like how you can board derilicts if you "gong" them. The pirate ship should come with this item stock and maybe have a better item available to find(like how the science vessel starts with scanners). Maybe a device which paralizes weapons and engines for a short period of time, and an ability to board certain ships if their shields are down instead of just ramming them(have it be a third option in the attack/ram buttons). After I capture a ship it could be part of my flotila, any parts that weren't dammaged in combat are salvage and you can scuttle or repair it and keep it.

Third, some of the weapons area bit unclear on their exact power, range and use, a readout like that in space emires would be cool. Something that displays rate of fire, range, type(beam, balistic, seeker ect)

My least favorite item is the Melodium Conograp, not that it isn't cool, traps and surprises are fun, I just dump this as soon as i find it....

3) Which map size do you prefer?

Medium has a good size to it, big enough to explore, and find lots of goodies. It's just right. Small maps are kinda short, good for quicky games, and I do like the large maps when I have time.

4) Which player ship do you prefer?

The science ship due to it's scanner. Also it seems like I can make it super powered once I get all the top tier items and friendly ships, before that even the terran frigate will get it's but kicked so retreating is the best tactic no matter what really in the early game. It has a huge cargo bay too. However now that I'm figuring out that reatreating from hostiles is best until you either get the diplomatic items or big guns, I'm finding that the other 2 ships just as fun and the scanner kind of unnescessary.

5) Do you think the bosses (Kawangi, Primordius, Vent Mother, Deep Hunter, Garthan carrier) are too easy, too hard or just right?

Just challenging enough without making it impossible, however if you're lucky with finding treasure some can get a bit easy.

6) When you play Weird Worlds do you "play it safe" or do you play risky?

Well when I was figuring the game out I always charge in with guns blazing, and occasionally I underestemate the vent mothers and the exact extent of a black hole's gravitational pull, especially when it's between me and glory and i'm running late...

7) When you play Weird Worlds, do you "roleplay" it?

To the extent the game allows role play yes, I tend to stick to the mission. A few more multiple choice scenarios like the bauble guy would be fun, maybe you could find artifacts or trade information from other races, then use that to engage in a "conversation" with the race(answering multiple choice or typing 1 word or brief phrase answers like in starship titantic), or perhaps have a simple alien language or "code" you can speak to them in(like the robot race's) which requires some kind of cipher item to learn.

8) Do you keep a Weird Worlds shortcut on your desktop?

Yes

9) Who is your favorite Weird Worlds character?

In order: George and Margie from the manual, Ripcord, The Zorg, The gargathan, the slug guys, and the klakar

10) Do you own/play Strange Adventures in Infinite Space?

Not yet no.....