View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:03 AM

Corporal

Zogu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 10 questions from the devs.

1) What are your favorite features/items/etc. in the game?

I really love the game and thus, it is hard to define exactly which feature makes it so fun to play.

I like the fact that each game is different. Also, the fact that a game takes you less than 30-40 minutes.

The Klakar are nice. They act both as helpers, traders, bank vault. One thing though: When calling them with the beacon, it should take a few days from the counter (it shouldn't be instantaneous).

Although I haven't played many mods, the fact that the game is moddable is definitively a positive point. It is also a challenge to my own creativity.

I like the "Esmeralda factor". Sometimes you have to develop a strategy so that your precious loot is not in danger of being stolen. A nice thing would be that after she has stolen something, it would be possible to find Esmeralda on the map (in "her" ship) and fight her to get your stuff back.

Some weapons are funny to play with, for instance the Micrometeorite gun. I'd like to see more variety though; for instance, weapons with recoil/inertia, a goo gun (which slows down the enemy ship), etc.

2) What are your least favorite features/items/etc. in the game?

Currently, most star drives are too pedestrian in nebulas. What if some of them gave a speed of 2 or 3 at least? There should be more variety in drives.

I liked it in SAIS when it took some extra time to capture a life form. This funny feature is missing from WW. By the way, some of the expensive loot/items/lifeforms should slowly damage your ship's hull (for instance, huge violent beasts or radioactive jewels) -- the player would then want to resell the stuff as soon as possible!

Combat is sometimes disappointing; it is slow and limited.

I tried to mod the game so that thrusters are 2x as fast and weapons fire 2x as slowly, but it didn't make combats funnier. It would be fun to have faster and more agile ships, but it would require major changes in the way combats work.

Ships collide way too often in combat; maybe the shields should have a repealing effect, at least some of them. It would prevent some of the accidental collisions.

When we encounter a fleet 'round a planet, the "bonus item" should float in space in a cargo (ie, the enemy fleet would defend it). It would then add some new dimensions in the game: blowing up the cargo by mistake, running away with it (cloaked or with a fast ship), etc.

It would be nice to encouter some low-profile baddies between stars (nebulas should be infested with pirates and creatures). And no hyperdrive please!!!! I don't like it.

3) Which map size do you prefer?

Medium. I never ever play the small map; most quest are unplayable on it. Maybe there should be special quests only for the small map?

4) Which player ship do you prefer?

I love the 3 of them. The one I play the most often is the Frigate, though. At first I would only play the Corvette, but as I got more confident in the game, I started having fun with all ships. With the Science ship, it is important to build a fleet with some firepower; I often give a Zorg ship the status of "flagship".

I have to say, though: the Terran fighter (Ripcord O'Reilley) should be a real fighter, and have no star drive. It is too limited to be considered a real ship. And how 'bout having a Terrain carrier? You find it (on the map), you keep it!!!

5) Do you think the bosses (Kawangi, Primordius, Vent Mother, Deep Hunter, Garthan carrier) are too easy, too hard or just right?

Primordius: Too easy to defeat if you have the Furies (Chromium Gong). Maybe the Furies should be slightly scaled down, so that they give only 50% of the damage required to destroy Primordius. Also, Furies should be single-use (or have a limited number of uses, each time getting weaker). Idea for the furies: each time you use them, there is a chance that after destroying the enemy they "materialize" as a ship and attack you back!

Vent Mother: Holy moly! This is a major foe, even with the PVC in hand. Although you can have your way with tremendous firepower, 2 Neptunian Railguns and some mobility.

Garthan Carrier: I don't really like the Garthan in combat. Their fighters are weak (although they can pack a punch if you're weak too). Their carriers are boring. I like their attitude though.

Kawangi: Too strong in combat (unless there is some trick I don't know). If I don't find the LVC, the Furies or the Mirror soon enough, it's the end of the game. Their single undefeatable ship with 2 mighty weapons is just too much. Maybe the ship should be an undefeatable carrier. If you defeat all its fighters, it runs away & escapes from the galaxy.

Deep Hunter: Some Urluquai fleets are currently very hard to cope with, especially with their initial "surrounding" configuration. One thing that would help would be to be able to change the initial orientation of the player's ships. When meeting Urluquai, I'd like to have my ships placed back-to-back (and not all facing up with some Urluquai frying my ***).

Tan-Ru: The fleet with 2 red Tan-Ru populates my nightmares. There should be no more than one of these kick-*** fleets in any map.

6) When you play Weird Worlds do you "play it safe" or do you play risky?

I take risks. That's why a big Urluquai fleet usually kick my sorry *** at some point.

7) When you play Weird Worlds, do you "roleplay" it?

No. Although there are some nice roleplaying features in it (like being able to name planets), I don't see the point. Maybe all the stars should be nameless at the beginning of the game. The player would then have to name the stars without a fleet (ie, not owned by aliens).

Also, the % of the map that has been either explored (or conquered) for Glory should have some emphasis. The player should choose a flag at the beginning of the game; the flag would then be shown beside the systems that have been "claimed" or "conquered" for Glory.

The roleplaying aspect should be explored. There could be a "journal", which would fill automatically, at each game.

The only "roleplay effect" I have is an adrenaline shot when I see a star exploding at the start of the Kawangi game. Then, I am totally stressed out and run around the map in a frenzy. Good times.

8) Do you keep a Weird Worlds shortcut on your desktop?

Absolutely. I play the game at least 3-4 times a week (I usually play 3-4 games each time).

9) Who is your favorite Weird Worlds character?

I don't know. The game doesn't offer much character development. Maybe the ambassadors should have their say in some situations (for instance, a Celatian would refuse to be present in combats)?

10) Do you own/play Strange Adventures in Infinite Space?

I own it, but I don't play it anymore.