View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2002, 12:50 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Devnull Mod Gold: updates and discussion

Deathstalker - I'll have a look at the Mount Mod as well, then. Devnull Mod already uses an early Version/variation of the Mount Mod, IIRC. One of the problems that always comes up with mounts that change the tonnage is the AI designs. So I have to be careful not to change any of the mounts that the AI already uses, since I tweaked the AI to make designs with them. The engine mount is cool. Not sure if it works with DNM, though. Better engines already use less fuel (down to 5 per move). So if these would use the engine mount, one solar collector would have the effect close to a quantum reactor .

Binford - That sounds good . Thanks for doing this. I'd really like to have a look at it. Don't worry if you get every little change. There are just too many over the time. Also if all changes are in there, people might be just as confused as looking at the readme . Maybe it is a good idea to focus on the main changes of the mod. Maybe make some categories and list 3-5 features in each of them. Anyway, inclusion in the mod zip is a great idea. So newbies can get an overview.

About mines, well yes, that is certainly debatable. It is however one of the features of the mod that is most likely to stay as it is. The way I view myself is just the current caretaker/editor/maintenance man of Devnull Mod (hmm, don't know if that is well put, but you probably get the idea). So, that is one of these 'spirit of the mod' things that I am not going to touch. Personally I like the way minesweeping works in DNM. Mines are less useful, the best part of it IMHO is that putting a few mines on your planets does not help you against the AI much. Still big mine fields are useful and you can put out mines quite fast, if you got the best warheads (note: in DNM the warheads get cheaper, so better warheads let's you churn out more mines). One thing that could be considered, though, is raising the mine limit per sector to 200, 300, or 500. This way you could build big mine fields if you have the time. Still these could be swept with special mine sweepers. For example, a cruiser could have 20 PDC and be able to sweep 100 mines. Five of them could sweep the largest mine field possible.
Hmm, actually that's not a bad change. Would do you and everybody else think about that?

Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e