View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:43 AM

Private

Imperious_Leader is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Moron Sues Over Roof Jumping

Sorry AT on this we'll have to agree to disagree . I simply can not see how anyone myself included can stick a hot cup of coffee between their legs open it up and not accept responsibility for the risk they are taking.After all it is really a question of degree [pardon the pun]do you have a reasonable degree of expectation of not burning your self by taking the lid off the coffee?Answer no.Coffee is hot if she had spilled coffee that was only 120F would she have been burned? answer yes.So did she have a reasonable expectation of not being burned? Answer no.The sevarity of the burn is not relavant.She had no reasonable expcation of not being burned so , in doing what she did she must accept responsibility for the risk.If the coffee had only been 120F and had only caused first degree burns instead of third degree burns would she still have had pain and suffering medical bills? What she did and I and probable most of you have done is not without risk , alot of things in life are not , but if we ignore the risk and do it anyway we shouldn't be rewarded for it.A few years ago someone talked me into going sky diving...Before my first jump I had to sign a ton of papers saying that if I got killed they couldn't be held responsible.I thought it was crazy how could any rational person jump out of a perfectly good airplane and not accept that there was risk involved but they had to cover themselves just incase someone got killed or injured one wouldn't want the greving family to claim that the deceased didn't understand that dropping from 10,000 Ft could cause signifigant injury would one?
As to your question about who wouldn't sue....in a society where no accepts responsibility for what they do but instead blame how they were raised or the violent games they play or the music that was on the raido their mother , father , God ,the devil,or whatever other crack pot excuse they can think up.....most would sue .