View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Man, it\'s just not there.

Quote:
cshank2 said:
Is there something wrong with me? I could spend almost an entire day playing SEIV. It's been, and still is, one of my favorite games.

I was pumped for SEV but... I don't know... I just can't play it for hours like I can SEIV. It has to go in thirty-minute spurts or something.

What's different?
I think that SE IV and SE V are two different kind of games. One is certainly more fun to play than the other and as to why well who knows.

I ten to play SE V for only a few minutes before stopping. I think the game is a great game, but just not the kind of game that I enjoy playing for long periods of time. As you said is just simply doesn't have it.

The game dynamics are very different between IV and V. While I think IV is a superior game for game play, V certainly has far more features for modding and it has 3d aspects and ground combat.

Personally I would have loved to see the UI updated for SE IV, and small 3d models used for the planets and ships. This way the planets would spin, the ships would be true 3d and wouldn't get all pixely when seen at angles. I would have been fine with keeping the top down combat system, so long as the ships were 3d and looked and acted according. Adding ground combat would have been a great addition, and updating the UI to have a more SE V look would have been great.

After thinking about it for a while I think that SE IV is for the true gamer, a person who isn't interested in eye candy so much as function ability, game form, and immersion. SE V is a beast compared to its older brother. The ships are bigger, the planets and systems are larger looking, and the game is for all intents, a brand new take on an old idea. SE V is a new game period. Like all new games that take on the mantel of an old and beloved treasure such as SE IV, expectation are high and seldom equaled.

I love both games. I just prefer to play SE IV over SE V because SE IV is more my type of game. SE V is a great game in its own right but it isn't the kind of game that blows my skirt up. Much like the GalCiv games. They are all good games, just not what I am interested in.