View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,445 Times in 2,700 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: North Korea errors report

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat2 View Post
I don’t think they should be in the OOB unless there is some hard evidence that they were in reserve somewhere. Concord’s Tank Warfare in Korea looks at various Soviet shipments of armoured vehicles during the Korean War. It doesn’t mention the SU-100.

At the moment someone playing a Korean War game as the North Koreans can field SU-100s when they weren’t used in the war and when they probably weren’t in Korea at all.

Just becasue a source doesn't mention something doesn't mean it wasn't there. Is "Concord’s Tank Warfare in Korea" THE definative source **everybody** turns to when the Korean war is mentioned ? There may have been only a handful.

I cannot ask the guy who originally built the OOB where he got the information these were available. For all I know he had great sources or just guessed but right now what I'm hearing is a lot of "I’m not sure" and "probably weren’t"

I found a source that says "The SU-85 remained in service longer in North and Vietnam" yet we don't even have the SU-85 in the game in NK OR NVA. Maybe someone would like to look into that issue ?? "PERHAPS" that 1951 SU-100 is supposed to be a SU-85 ??? That I would belive as the ammo would be common to the T-34/85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello
To be honest I have alreay got burned at least once trusting SIPRI for availability dates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat2 View Post
SIPRI is like most other sources. Best when confirmed by a another source. It is interesting that Unit 462 has a 1968 start date. It matches the delivery completion date given by SIPRI.
So you point is .... what ? becasue one date matches therefore this source is reliable to the tenth decimal place ?? Marcello already told you SIPRI isn't 100% reliable and I know there have been other instances we caught concerning Greek equipment. As you said it's best confirmed by another source then site the 1968 date when you said earlier "SIPRI Trade Register claims that the Soviets delivered 100 SU-100s to the North Koreans between 1965 and 1968"

So if they shipped them starting in 1965 why is 1968 right ? And because one start date in the game matches a SIPRI delivery completion date that means....??? What ?

I appreciate the info you provide but expect me to question it from time to time. I will be HAPPY to remove it when we get beyond "I’m not sure" and "probably weren’t"

Don

Last edited by DRG; February 16th, 2010 at 07:20 PM..