Thread: Suggestions
View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions

PDF-

Thanks for the Reminder of the variation of keyboards and languages. This is a very valid point and deserves the correct treatment. However, I’m not sure what the best approach is, and Salvo is probably going to ship with the keys setup as descried in the previous note. The situation can be fixed later on with…

a) User Customization. Change the hotkeys for various functions, and your configuration will be saved with your settings. (This is probably the easiest option from the development standpoint.)

b) Keyboard Variation. If the game becomes profitable enough, then supporting several languages and keyboard formats will be essential.

c) Command Duplication. A lot of what is currently covered by keystrokes in Salvo is only accessible by keystrokes. This is not the best form for a program. All the functions should also be available through a menu or some visual (clickable) element of the UI.

d) Organization and Duplication. Alternately, there may be a way to use a better and more coherently developed hot key organization to alleviate the problem of various keyboard layouts. This would take some coordination of various formats, but may be worth looking into…

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks again for complicating my life. I’ll do my best to take this into account in the next few updates. It would be interesting to know how many international users there are for Salvo, they seem failry well represented here on the forums. <G>

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty