View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:38 AM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SEV Models in Starfury?

When you transfer ships from SEV to SF you can use the SEV Ships_XFileClasses.txt that goes with the SEV model. You will have to make sure your weapons firing points match with your firing points in the Ships_XFileClasses.txt match the firing points in the Main_ComponentConfigurationSlotsPlayers text file. An example follows:

(taken from Ships_XFileClasses)
Firing Point 1 X := 68.7842
Firing Point 1 Y := 411.142
Firing Point 1 Z := -75.0836
Firing Point 1 Arc Start := 315
Firing Point 1 Arc End := 45

(taken from Main_ComponentConfigurationSlotsPlayers)
Slot 1 Xpos := 258
Slot 1 Ypos := 293
Slot 1 Group Name := Weapon (Light) 1
Slot 1 Comp Type Allowed := Weapon (Light)
Slot 1 Comp Type Abbreviation := W(L)
Slot 1 Comp Box Color Index := 1
Slot 1 Ship Section := Hull
Slot 1 Ship Side Facing := 0
Slot 1 Weapon Firing Point := 1
Slot 1 Weapon Arc Start := 315
Slot 1 Weapon Arc End := 45

see where it says firing point 1 and start arc 315 and end arc 45. It matches up in both text files Ships_XFileClasses and Main_ComponentConfigurationSlotsPlayers. If it doesn't match you can have problems.

As far as the actual firing points (where the beam or torpedo comes out of your ship at), you need to have the x, y, z coordinates properly inputed for the model. The SEV Ships_XFileClasses should have this already calculated corectly unless they errored in doing it. You can use Anim8or to easily get the x, y, z coordinates or you can always just set x,y,z to all zeros and the weps will come from the center of the ship model.

The starting scale of the ships can be changed in the Ships_XFileClasses text file too. If it's too big, for example, let's say x, y, z starting scales are at 1.0 then just experiment with it and change all 3 to 0.7 or something. This will not affect the firing points or engine points. If there is engine glows then you may need to reduce the radius (of the engine glow)

As far as the speed do you mean the torpedos are not fast enough? You can change the speed of all the weapons in the Main_BitmapEffects text file. There is a place in each wep effect for speed.

My suggestion is when using an SEV Ship for SF use the SEV Ships_XFileClasses for the SF game. Your fing points however must match up with the firing points for your weapons slots in Main_ComponentConfigurationSlotsPlayers. Use SJ's slot modder to make new slots for the ship. If you don't want to make new slots then just follow the Terran Destroyer example I posted earlier and just set the wep firing points to zero. I usually just use anim8or to get my x,y,z coordinates when it's a non-SEV ship I am using or when I make new firing points. Some SEV models have x,y,z at zeros to start with anyways. With experience you can do more.

Another good suggestion when modding SF is to play in windowed mode. Go to SF setup and under video mode select windowed mode. This will display an error message instead of just freezing the game up when there is a problem. So many things can go wrong and you have to be exact on your single line spacing in the text files too. Once you do a few ships and get the hang of it, it becomes quite easy to do. I could help you out on MSN messenger sometime if you need. If so then send me a PM with your MSN and I can help you while I am online.